Headquartered in Seattle, Washington, United States, Amazon is one of the most successful customer-centric companies with revenues of $386.064 billion in the fiscal year 2021.
Table of Content
Amazon First Quarter Highlights
- Net company sales increased by 7% to $116.4 billion in the first quarter, compared with $108.5 billion for the same period last year.
- The operating income came down to $3.7 billion from $8.9 billion in the first quarter last year.
- The net loss was $3.8 billion in the first quarter as compared with net income of $8.1 billion during the same period last year.
Source: Amazon Q1 2022 Highlights
First Quarter YoY Financial Comparison
- Total company sales were $116,444 in Q1 2022 as compared with $108,518 during the same period last year
- The Expense Ratio increased by approximately 4% over the last year
- Operating Profit Ratio came down to 3.2% in Q1 2022 from 8.2% for the same period last year
- The Net Earnings Ratio has also dropped down to (3.3)% in Q1 2022 from 7.5% for the same period last year
Additional Key Highlights - Amazon
- Amazon has opened 8 new Amazon Fresh grocery stores and has a total of 46 Amazon Fresh grocery stores around the world
- It is the first time Amazon introduces Just Walk Out technology at two Whole Foods Market stores in Washington, D.C., and Sherman Oaks, California
- Amazon launched Amazon Aware which is a new brand of consciously and sustainably created everyday products that span apparel, home, and beauty, and that are made from recycled polyester, organic cotton, and bio-based ingredients
- Prime Video debuted nearly 30 local originals internationally, including new seasons of the unscripted franchise LOL in Canada, France, Germany, and Italy, as well as Luxe Listings (Australia), Mahaan (India), Bang Bang Baby (Italy), and HOMESTAY (Japan)
- Amazon announced the availability of Amazon Luna, a cloud gaming service which offers a very extended lineup of games and various new features
- Virtual health services from Amazon Care are now available in the United States 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Additionally, Amazon Care expanded its in-person services to Atlanta, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and San Francisco
- COVID-19 and flu testing, treatment of illnesses and injuries, immunizations, preventive care, sexual health, and prescription requests and refills are all available immediately through the program
Investing in Employees and Workplace
- Amazon launched the Welcome Door program in the U.S. which is a new initiative to provide resources and support to its refugee and humanitarian-based immigrant employees
- Amazon expanded its mental health benefits to provide employees, their families, and their household members in more than 50 countries worldwide with personalized, convenient, and confidential mental health and daily life support
- Amazon extended partnerships with more than 140 national and local communities, schools to offer fully funded education facilities
Supporting Communities, Selling Partners, and the Economy
- Amazon formed teams around the world to provide humanitarian support to the people affected by the Ukraine War
- Amazon launched Amazon Industrial Innovation Fund which is a $1 billion venture investment program for empowering the companies developing emerging technologies in customer fulfillment, logistics, and the supply chain
- Amazon’s computer sciences program Amazon Future Engineer awarded $40,000 college scholarships to 250 students across the US from underserved and historically underrepresented communities to study computer science
This is an excerpt from the report. To download the full report, fill in your details below.